Tuesday, June 9, 2009

That Way


Here is my latest. "That Way," 36 x 36 Acrylic on canvas.
I've had a ball with my big paintings. They move along fast and create mini surprises as I layer color over color. Enlarge this image and see what I mean.

Photographing them, though, has been a challenge. I have a Cannon Power Shot G9 and tons of experience shooting slides. But how to light big paintings,and not get way too yellow a cast to these works?

If I set the camera on Program, go to the Auto White Balance option, and then follow the directions to color correct using my old gray card from my slide days, I ended up with correct color!! And the camera is supposed to remember this setting. It also automatically bracketed my shots, but this probably isn't necessary.

I was also pleased to be accepted into the 2009 San Diego Watercolor Society's national show with my houses on stilts, and am currently in the Transparent Watercolor Society of America's national.

2 comments:

Ken Goldman said...

Hi Sue, I haven't even looked at my own blog (let alone yours) for a few months. Today I logged in because I finally have something to write about. But in looking at my site, I went to yours and for the first time got to see your new acrylics large. I think they are stunning - humorous and creative. I love the contrast between your lines and large masses. I bet they have great texture close-up. Also, I look forward to seeing your watercolor in San Diego and, by the way, the show is International.
Keep up the good work, Ken

Susan Webb Tregay NWS said...

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the great analysis of my new work. Here are a couple more.

Sue

 
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F7KDVCwTZPw/ST3lBsu94GI/AAAAAAAAABQ/ZsrKK9KnzZE/s1600/Picture%2B6.png